Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy New Year!

It has been quite a while since I updated. My eggs did eventually hatch, however, they didn't last long. There were thousands of tiny octopuses that looked more like squid (without the tentacles of course) swimming around the tank. I collected a lot of them for genetics research and some to raise. They weren't feeding well, so I am taking a different approach with the next batch of eggs. They will probably hatch next week, so I am trying to get everything ready for them.

I had a lovely, much needed break at home with family, friends, and falafel. When I returned, Hawai'i was rainy and grey. I was on boats on New Years day, and it was the most perfect day. Here is a picture... Jealous yet?



On Thursday, as I was driving home, I tried to take a picture of the beautiful sunset (only at the stop light, Mom). When I put my camera back in my bag, I thought I was turning the camera off, but I ended up taking a picture, and this was the result.



Here are some pics of my babies. You can see the little guys in their tube and the bucket I used the transfer them. There is also a picture of their mama--you can see some empty egg cases and some behind her that haven't hatched yet.





I had planned on posting a lot earlier, but the internet has been out for the past week! Also, I am going to try to start a podcast--maybe Music and Malacology, Tunes and Teuthology, Indie and Inverts? I really miss having a radio show and I refuse to go through the ridiculousness at the University of Hawaii. I'm thinking of doing a segment on science (likely sexual selection) every show and play some classic rock, old indie, new indie, mashups, math rock, etc. So, pretty much an eclectic mix. I'm figuring out the copyright laws and make sure I don't screw up. I looked into streaming a radio show, but that seems to require more licensing.

Also, I've started a journal with sketches of invertebrates from around the island. I'll try to scan some in and add them when I finish one.

Alright, that's all for this post!

1 comment:

vanessayw said...

Yaay! OK, now this means I have to post something too. Actually, I totally forgot about my blog for a while. Haha. Love that picture with you in your car and the sunset. Love you too. xxox