Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Squids!

On Sunday, I went diving with a couple of friends at Shark's Cove and then Three Tables.  These are two spots on the north shore of Oahu that have amazing swim through caves and big rock formations where you can find a whole bunch of exciting critters!

We saw a little white tip reef shark that had been ensnared in a fishing line. We liberated it from the offending line and I definitely felt slightly better about myself as a human being.  We saw several turtles, maybe five or six?  They were chomping away on the limu (Hawaiian for seaweed).  Then, on our second dive, I found two octopuses mating! I was very proud of myself because, although I am the octopus lady in Hawaii, I am rarely the one to spot them when Bert and I are out fishing.  I tend to find them only when I don't have a bucket nearby :)

When we came back to Coconut, there were two adorable big fin reef squid hanging out by the boats.  People often mistake them for cuttlefish because they have such a large fin surrounding their mantle.  But, they are definitely squid.  You can tell because they keep their feeding tentacles dangling out of their mouths while cuttlefish keep their tentacles tucked up under their arms.


 I went flying with Dave a few times last week and meant to post some of the pictures. We went in the Tomahawk around the island and passed by Sacred Falls. Here's a pic of the falls from the plane. This weekend I think we are going to head out to Molokai again and I'll post some pics of the stunning rock cliffs.

No comments: