Thursday, August 8, 2013

Back in Hawaii

As of Saturday evening, I am back in Hawaii. After the Azores, I was lucky enough to go home to DC for a week and spend some much needed relaxation time with my family.  It was lovely, as usual, with the added bonus of seeing my sister four months pregnant!

But now it is back to work! Coconut is still overwhelmed with construction, but up amongst it is a gorgeous orchid growing in our "yard."


Last night I was treated to a spectacular sunset outside of Steven's window. The colors kept changing... just breathtaking. Here is my phone's sad attempt to capture the moment.



Also, check out this awesome stomatopod (mantis shrimp) we saw at the National Zoo! What the heck is in its mouth?! We thought maybe eggs, but I thought they would brood their eggs like lobsters, back behind their legs. OK, guess what? I forgot about the internet... I just looked it up and, YES, it appears these are definitely stomatopod eggs. WHOA! I feel so lucky we got to see them!

New bonus at the National Zoo, they added an OCTOPUS to their Carousel animals! Alright, that is probably enough exclamation points for this blog post.

No comments: