Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday already?

I just had my first real compliment on my bike (from a stranger)! :) It felt good. Although, I had kind of a creepy compliment this morning. I was sitting at a red light and this guy conspicuously walked over to where I was and looked me up and down, then said "Hi." Thankfully the light changed and went on my merry way to work.

Speaking of work, I haven't gotten any octopods yet!! They are poopy and eluding me. This particular species is supposed to be the best camouflager ever, so maybe I am swimming over a billion of them and not knowing it. I don't think that is the case though, because I know what I am looking for. You try to find a sort of cemetery of crabs and bivalves--then you know you have found a den. Then, you take a stick and poke around a bit, hoping an octopus will grab on. However, this species is active during the day so likely won't stay in their dens but will be out foraging for food. I talked to a girl who studied them a few years ago and she said she thinks they go to deeper water in the summer...I need to talk to the fishermen. They'll know what to do!

Even though I haven't found any specimens to study sexual selection, it has been quite beautiful snorkeling around Coconut Island. I saw the largest trumpet fish I've ever seen as well as a puffer fish as big as a basketball! The coral seems much healthier over there than any other place on the island. I saw a stomatopod (mantis shrimp) using it's hammer-like appendages to kill and eat small crustaceans. I've seen several Cassiopeia jellyfish (upside down jellies), their green tentacles undulating in the current.

I've decided to organize a group hunt for octopods. Maybe I'll have more luck with some more eyes... But really, who can complain? My days consist of snorkelling and riding my motorcycle, not so bad. I've also been watching a lot of Star Trek--the original series. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but it is so good!! It's terribly cheesy and wonderful. Every episode is on CBS and so is every episode of Twin Peaks!

Alright, I'm on campus today trying to get some work done for Les today--and this weekend I get to cat sit! I'm so excited. I love his cat. I miss animal love (I guess that sounds kinda bad...)

No comments: