Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Azores Day 3

Yesterday, I went to see a lot of other people's talks, mostly on amazing snails and slugs! It was extremely enlightening.  Unfortunately, I also had this weird sinking feeling as I watched other talks that mine was just awful... Also that I have so much to do when I get back to Hawaii.  The latter feeling was alright though, since it's motivational. I am feeling terribly inadequate about the work I've done thus far. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it except work harder!

After the poster session, I went for another walk around the city to take more pictures of the street art.  Enjoy!



I also stumbled upon the art museum, but it was closed, I'm going to try to get back there today.


 This is the bell tower and apparently, you can walk up to the top there, but of course that was closed too...

Here is another giant whale painted on the road, but it was impossible to get a good angle on it. Angelo is posing with the sad white whale.

In the evening, we went to Madalena's Aunt's place. It was incredible!! Here is one of her dogs, Figo. He was adorable.

Look at this kitchen! She made a delicious meal and we also had local wine and cheese.  We were talking about how the Azores has locally made wine, cheese, and tea and I thought, what more do you need? I could live here forever eating cheese and drinking delicious wine :)

When we walked in the front door, there was this artwork in the foyer. I asked Madalena's Aunt, Dalia, about it and she said it is a local artist. The piece is called "Hug gently," or "Hug in the right way." I thought it was a stunning piece.

More pictures of this fantastic house... the garden, the pool, the exterior and Shiva.




The "gates of the city" at night

This was my breakfast yesterday :)  The lattes are delicious here. The tart is pastel de nata, a local custard tart. Delicious!

Today is our free day and I am off to go for a dive! 

3 comments:

Saaraliisa said...

Oh that poor sad whale. I loved it. Also the nail figure, she has studied African art for sure. I want that kitchen. So nice to be a part of your adventure, I eagerly await the next entry. xoxoxox

Chris said...

Beautiful! But you're mistaken about Figo: that's a cat, not a dog.

Monica said...

I kind of agree with Chris, but I think it's a stuffed animal cat.