Friday, July 26, 2013

Azores Day 5

Today was the first of the Cephalopod Symposia days. We began with some talks to commemorate Malcolm Clarke, one of the key proponents of cephalopod research.  He recently passed away, and this conference is being held in his honor. I tried to take a picture of Paul Rodhouse (!!!--the extant author of Cepahlopods: ecology and fisheries) holding a large squid beak, but it is difficult to see. He's holding it though... 
 At lunch, I decided to take a walk since I realized tomorrow is my last day here :( I made it back to the bell-tower and this time it was open for me to climb up.  Along the way, I passed by the museum, but it was closed.
 Most of the streets are cobblestone and I am so impressed with all of the beautiful patterns that are built into the streets. I am also impressed with the women who seem capable of walking in heels on the cobblestone.
The view from the steps of the bell-tower before climbing up.
  To climb up to the top of the bell-tower, I had to sneak around to the back where there was a little door open. Inside, it was dark and there was a narrow stone staircase that appeared like it would collapse at any moment into a crumbling pile of dust.
 At the top, there was a winding staircase that lead to the top of the tower. I barely fit. I couldn't imagine any one of a different body type squeezing up that thing.
 Here I am at the top. My foot is there for reference so you can see how ridiculously tight that little staircase was.
 But the view was worth it.





 I quickly made it down the steps and walked back through town to get back to the conference on time. I can't believe that it's almost over! It's been so thrilling. I am reveling in the high concentration of nerdery.


Yay, Ginger! This is Madalena's adorable and super friendly cat, Ginger :)


2 comments:

Saaraliisa said...

Nerdery, I like that word. Did you introduce yourself to the guy with the squid? :) It makes me so happy that you have had this chance and that you are taking advantage of all of it! see you soon, this trip won't be as long I hope. ox

Chris said...

You didn't really have a choice on the nerd front-- Mom's a high recessive and I'm a heavy dominant, so the nerd gene (GAGACAT) is so pure in you that you virtually define the term NERD. Glad you were in nerd heaven for awhile with others of your ilk.