Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kaena Point

I've been staying at my advisor's place as of late, here is my companion, Dongwa enjoying the morning sun. 

Last weekend, I finally got a chance to go out to Kaena point!  It is the most north western point on Oahu.  I didn't make it out to the exact point since my traveling companions weren't quite excited for a long hike, but I hope to get out there next time. Steven and I explored the rocky intertidal and thankfully managed to avoid any cuts and bruises--it is brutal out there. The rocks are like small scale Mountains of Madness and when a wave comes, you better watch out you're not too close to one of the sharp spires...


There were some interesting invertebrates among the sand as well. Many small crab bodies (possibly shed carapaces since they didn't seem to have limbs missing or evidence of predators), and thousands of varied mollusca (check out the bottom right of the pic to see tiny shells). There were some urchin bodies scattered across the sand as well. Yay invertebrates!

A rainbow for my morning coffee time on Tuesday.

Ukulele practice was accompanied by a lovely sunset in Kaneohe Bay. I really do live in a pretty spectacular place... It's good to remember occasionally and be grateful.  Especially when I am in the throes of self-loathing over my thesis.

Yesterday morning on my way to Coconut the bay was so calm, I was compelled to take a picture.


Last night, I went to the Makapu'u tide pools with Steven to search for the rock tako and add an extra location to their habitat map.  I had such a fantastic time! So many wonderful tide pool species and of course I forgot my camera. It was really the main reason I needed to go. Thankfully, my iPhone has a lifeproof case so I could take it in the water with me. Not the highest quality pics, but got what I needed for my dissertation. Here is a pretty cowrie we saw and below that is the still-fascinating-despite-my-unending-research-project, Octopus oliveri.


2 comments:

Saaraliisa said...

Still fascinating, really. :)

MsB said...

Glad you finally got to Kaena. I love it there! Thanks for confirming that the rocks are wicked...hahaha!

Love reading everything you write about! So proud of you.