Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dive

I just got back from diving :) We went to Kaneohe Bay where there is this structure called "the sunken city." Apparently, they tried to build a floating city off of the harbor, but then a big storm came...and it's now underwater. The good news is that it has created a perfect substrate for coral to grow on. We saw some nice cup corals, wrasse, feather duster worms, and tunicates (among other things).

I just started my scientific diving class on Tuesday. It is three hours, two nights a week, and six hours every Saturday. Huge time commitment... But I'm excited. I think I will learn a lot. The biggest issue is the cost--everything is expensive! Not one piece of diving equipment is cheap....Once I buy all the gear, it won't be so bad, but until then...I'm poor forever.

Anyway, today's dive was to go over basic skills in open water. Once we've done that plus the pool skills from last semester, we are scientific diver's in training! So, that's me. I just passed this morning, and now I am a sci diver in training! It's wasn't easy though... in fact, it was a comedy of errors. I am so buoyant, the dive master had to give me some of his weights (on top of the 12 pounds I already had). I think the fat deposits in my butt act as a natural buoy, pulling me towards the surface.

Tonight we are doing CPR stuff, and bright and early on Saturday, more of the same.

It was so nice having a car today. My friend lent me her car to take to the other side of the island and a gave some people a ride. There is a moment on the Likelike highway where you come through the tunnel to the other side of the mountain and it is...majestic. A moment of awe. The beauty of this island is astounding...when you get a chance to look at it.

Here is a picture of me as spiderman in my wet suit--as per requests :)

2 comments:

vanessayw said...

Yaaaay! Congrats on your sci diver in training status! And you look super sexy in that wetsuit! Oh yeahhhh!!

-nas

Anonymous said...

Yes, impressive. The Crocs lessen the effect tho. Try some white go-go boots next time....