Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Paradise returned

(In homage to Milton). I am back in Hawaii. I got back on Sunday night and I go back and forth feeling like my vacation was a dream. It was a lovely vacation, lots of movie watching and puzzle making in my bath robe. I think the puzzle was my greatest accomplishment (although I did not do it alone).


I also worked a bit on figuring out what I am going to do for my dissertation. I figured out all three chapters and started my introduction. My goal is to finish by the end of this month, but we'll see how much I get done! I'm already feeling overwhelmed with work. But, I did get to the beach today... it is manna for my soul.

I'm taking a population biology course which involves a lot of math. I just finished five problems and it took me about an hour! It should have taken fifteen minutes...but it's been about four years since my last calculus class. But I am remembering how much I enjoyed math (when I understood it). There is a sense of accomplishment when you can put a box around your answer with confidence.

Yesterday I got reviews of my teaching from my students and they made me smile. Some of them said I was the best TA they had ever had! Many of them said I was "awesome" and "enthusiastic." :) It made me feel good. I feel like if nothing else, at least I accomplished something last semester. I helped some people enjoy science!

No comments: