Sunday, November 24, 2013

Bioluminescence in Kaneohe Bay

Last week, due to many variables fortuitously occurring at the same time, there was a bloom of dinoflagellates in Kaneohe Bay. There had been many storms the week previously, which causes an influx of fresh water into the bay.  This can often lead to an algae bloom, and in this case it was bioluminescent dinoflagellates! It was pretty magical. On Tuesday, after ukulele practice, we stood on the dock and watched as the fish would flit around in the water.  As the dinoflagellates were disturbed, they would emit a bluish-green light.  Sherril (one of the coconut island residents) said that the night before they had seen an eagle ray in the water! They could tell because of the way it was moving. The water is obviously dark except for the outlines of the animals that were brushing past the dinoflagellates.  Dinoflagellates are single celled algae that have two flagella, little whiplike appendages that they use to move around.  They don't move very quickly though and so are dependent on the current to take them around the ocean.  Last week, we were clearly very lucky to have the current take them into Kaneohe Bay.  It has been in the local news and people are justifiably very excited by it. They are difficult to take pictures of because you need a long exposure time and I only had my phone. But I took a little video of the engine on the boat turning on and you can see a cloud of blue.


The next morning, on my way to work, I saw a baby turtle! It was no bigger than a basketball. What a great way to start the day :) Unfortunately, after that, things din't go so well since I am testing out my microsatellite primers and they are not cooperating. Oh well, hard to be frustrated for too long when I remembered the little turtle I saw. This morning, I went for a swim and saw a baby reef squid! Ahh! So many babies in the water of late... Must have been some good spawning seasons. 

Yesterday, Steven and I did the Kuliouou hike in Hawaii Kai.  It is a hike up to the ridge line and at the top you have a view of the entire south shore of the island. Also, as an extra treat, we found a female jackson chameleon on the path.  But first, I forgot that we went to the zoo last weekend and there was a giant carp tank that you could crawl through a tube to get to the center.  Here I am!


Here are the pics from our hike yesterday.






The area of the ridge that we were on is also known for the multicolored dirt.  They say there are seven different colors--here are a couple of pics.


And to end, a sunset picture of the Friday night sail boat races.



2 comments:

Saaraliisa said...

However difficult your PHD is to complete your life is pretty glorious. I love it when you stop to smell the roses, or should I say watch the turtles. Smiling at you. ox

Vanessa said...

Wow, you live in such a beautiful place! I love that panoramic shot. <3