Monday, November 10, 2008

Camping

Thursday night was my friends birthday and we went out to a delicious Thai restaurant. Here are some pics.





Yesterday, two of my friends and I decided to go camping. We found a secluded beach on the north shore and drove across the island to get there. It was a beautiful drive with picturesque views the whole way. When we go there, we did some exploring and swimming and relaxing. Before the sunset, we set up our hammocks (where two of us were going to sleep) and a tent for my other friend. We then made ourselves a rum cocktail and watched to sunset. Then, while making a fire for dinner, a friendly patrolman came to rain on our parade. He told us there was no camping or fire-making allowed on the premises. By law, in Hawaii, all beaches are public. However, this only applies to the high water mark area and apparently we were above it. He told us we could sleep on the sand but he didn't recommend it for three young ladies such as ourselves. Sometimes it's frustrating not being a man--people assume you can't take care of yourself. Anyway, as we were packing up our stuff, a local who was fishing there told us where we could go to camp. We decided that for last night, we wouldn't take the risk in case the patrol man found us again and got angry. But next time, we know where to go. It was still a lovely experience and educational :) The local people are so friendly! Everyone is so helpful.

Apparently the beach we went to is haunted too. There are these spirits called "night marchers" that take away lost souls. They only target locals though, so we are safe. But the fisherman told us that the patrol man was unlikely to come back because he was scared.

After we left the beach, we went to a little town close by and had a lovely dinner with a view of the beach. We discussed the frustrations and vulnerabilities of traveling as a woman. I wish it were easier. We like to think that women have come such a long way from the times where they had to be chaperoned to go out, and it's true that no one would blink an eye if a woman were seen unchaperoned now a days, but it still makes life easier if you travel with a man. When I was in Zanzibar, there was one male student in our group of 9 students--ONE! If the eight of us went out without him, we were all harassed, but as soon as he would join us, there was no trouble. I hate that I need a man to make me feel safe. Even tonight, I was sitting in Starbucks trying to get some studying done, and a man started talking to me and making rude comments. I don't understand it. I don't feel like I look like I want someone to talk to me--on the contrary, I wear huge headphones and focus on my work, but no matter where I am, people start talking to me. When I'm doing laundry, on the bus, in the coffee shop--and it's never someone I want to talk to! I don't know, maybe I'm being mean, but just once, it would be nice to be approached by someone less than fifty, without a lecherous look in their wandering eyes. Or even if I could go somewhere without feeling like I need pepper spray (which I actually purchased recently...). But maybe this is the product of living in a city. I am in the heart of downtown Honolulu, in the middle of the prostitution ring, where the bums spend their evenings, so I guess some strange encounters are to be expected. I've always suspected that I am not a city girl, and I think I am learning that more clearly now.





It was brought to my attention that Captain Nemo is not the best role model. As I have been reading, this has become clear. But I was only saying that I like his view of the sea--or rather the author's view of the sea and the way he describes it. The only similarities Captain Nemo and I share are our affections for the sea--at least I hope we don't share any other similarities...

Alright, I need to get back to work. I have to present tomorrow on deep-sea coral ecosystems and how they are doomed to extinction. Marine biology can be pretty depressing these days--but perhaps I'm being a bit fatalistic...or realistic?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your hair! Sorry to hear your attempt at lawbreaking was quashed by some overzealous uniformed public servant. OTOH, if the beach is haunted, maybe you should just keep your distance (and your eternal soul).

What is it about you and creepy men? Does a firm shake of the head and a declarative FUCK OFF do any good, or would that just make them more interested? On behalf of my entire gender, I'd like to apologize for the real losers among us-- no more than 60% of the sex.

Rabid said...

99%

Anonymous said...

I'll go 86% but no higher.