Sunday, February 8, 2009

China Walls

Yesterday was our first real technical dive for my scientific diving course. On Thursday we had a dive too, but it was in the pool. We are in the rescue diving portion of the course. So we had CPR, first aid, AED training among other things. On Thursday, we practiced different techniques for rescuing a diver and we also did an exercise where one buddy was out of air and the other was sharing air. Then, to make it more complicated, the buddy without air took off their mask to simulate a situation where they got caught on something and lost their mask. So, I was swimming along, with my eyes closed, under about 15 feet of water, waiting for my next breath. In that situation, you just have to trust your buddy will give you the regulator. I actually really enjoyed it. You completely give up control--like in sky diving. You just have to trust that it's all going to be ok. You have to completely let go. It's liberating.

Anyway, yesterday, we went to China Walls or Portlock for our first technical open water dive. The first dive was miserable, because I was still under weighted and buoyancy is one of those things I used to be great at. So it was frustrating. I had to take off my BC and weight belt and as soon as I did, I started floating towards the surface--argh! Then we did navigation--and I totally screwed up! It was kind of hilarious in a way. I went 180 degrees in the exact wrong direction. Thankfully, my buddy was cool about it :) We saw a turtle on that first dive and puffer fish and wrasse and I could hear the whales singing. When we got to the surface, we saw the whales in the distance.

Then we did rescue swims--which was exhausting! Then we had lunch and got right back in the water. The second dive was much better. I finally had the proper amount of weight on, I navigated correctly, and the water was much clearer. However, the swell was pretty intense and it was knocking us all over the place. Getting out of the water was interesting too. We got right next to the rocks, waited for a big wave, then kicked up like seals onto the rocks. There were some people laughing at us. It was quite a spectacle.

It was an exhausting day that started at 7 and ended at 5 without any real sitting down in between. And then, when I got home, I realized I had lost my phone! Thankfully I had just left it in my friend's car, but it was a hassle to get it back.

Things in Waikiki are crazy right now because of the probowl happening.

Oh also! I'm going to go on a research cruise in March! My advisor said there was room and I could come and I'm only missing one dive for scientific diving! So it all worked out. I'm very excited. I've been having a lot of fun dissecting polyps for Les. And--they also have tentacles! So I don't feel too bad that I am cheating on my dear cephalopods with cnidarians.... Every time I look at one under the microscope, I know I am the first one who has ever seen this. These are species that Les collected that are unlike any others anyone has ever seen before. It's very exciting to be on the cutting edge of deep sea coral biology. I love science!! I love biology!! Now if I can just get going on my own research...

Well, off to do laundry on this beautiful, sunny Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I told you never to hang out with cnidarians, and you didn't listen to me. All your cephalopod friends will never speak to you again.

Remember the old saying: "Lie down with cnidarians, get up with polyps."