Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Motorcycle

Sorry Mom, you read that right... Today I rode a motorcycle!!! It was so exhilarating. I loved it, and I'm going to get one.

This semester has so far been a semester of learning new skills--scientific diving, dissecting polyps, using an SEM, and riding a motorcycle. Academically, it's not so hot, but skills wise, very exciting. I'm kind of proud of myself. I decided I wanted to ride a motorcycle (to see if I wanted to buy one), so I went up to a guy in my class whom I know rides one, and asked for a lesson. Today was my first lesson. I can't wait for the next one. He was very good at explaining the mechanisms behind everything. He is also a scientist and likes to know how things work, so he explained every wire and chamber in an accessible way. Then, I got to drive it! I did pretty well...but, coming around a corner, I fell. But it was only a little fall, and now, I've gotten that over with. They say there are two kinds of people who ride motorcycles: those who have been in an accident, and those who are about to. So, I already had mine, and now I'm safe!

Here's a picture of the cut I got on my elbow--I'm very proud of it :P



At the end of the lesson, I rode on the back while he drove fast on the bike. I can't believe I have never been on the back of a motorcycle before. It was a perfect night for it. Hawaii is so beautiful from a motorcycle (not that it isn't otherwise...).

Then, at the end of the night, I went to wait for the bus. I waited for an hour. Which once again solidified my plan to buy a motorcycle!!

I also went to an aerobics class today that kicked my butt. A girl from my population biology class invited me and it was great! I go to the gym here, but it's not the same as a class. In a class you get pushed harder than you push yourself. Maybe I'll go again next week :) But not right before my motorcycle lesson...I was sweaty and gross when I got there today.

Tomorrow is more polyps and SEM and diving :) But I need to go to bed so I can wake up early without the help of coffee so I don't shake the spicules off the brush...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling Mom! You are SO punished!

Amanda said...

yay motorcycle!

Rabid said...

Wear a damn helmet!
yay motorcycles!!
But, wear a helmet . . .
Jenner's brother cracked his skull (literally) at no miles per hour when he slipped riding off a curb.
He's been riding for 35 years - he won't fall - so he DOESN'T wear a helmet. He has two little kids.
All we have is YOU.