Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sailing, Riding, Summer

So, still haven't taken photos of me on my bike--but I promise it exists! I've named my bike: Hunter. After Hunter S. Thompson. I thought it was appropriate. Today I went riding around the south coast of the island over to Waimanalo. It makes me happy to be here. Flying around on my bike (I made it up to 70mph today) looking at the beautiful scenery, feeling free. I feel like Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind--at least as close as I can get without flying.

Last week I went sailing and took some photos. It was lovely. We got first place in the race, which earned us 3 pitchers of rum and coke. I am speaking as if I had anything to do with the victory, but really, I just served as ballast when they would "tack."



Last night I had drinks with a friend of a friend at the Royal Hawaiian--very posh! We sat right by the beach and watched the sunset while eating delicious food and listening to a live hawaiian band and watching a woman hula dance for us :) It's funny, I live in Waikiki, but never get a chance to do the touristy things.

Contrary to the way this post sounds thus far, I have also been doing work. I set up the octo tanks last week then went hunting for octos, though they are proving elusive. I knew they would be, but if I can't find them, there's no chance of getting research done! So, I better get hunting. However, it is Saturday night! So I will save the hunting for the week days...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hunter! Good name-- and Thompson was such a responsible rider. He never got that Vincent Black Shadow over 25 mph...

vanessayw said...

Good luck catching those octopi! In my head I'm singing, Odin, Odin, send de wind and turn de tide...

Also, please no more mention of how fast you're riding on Hunter. I can just picture Mom cringing as she reads this. :)

But good for you! Love you!