Wednesday, July 8, 2009

OCTOPUS LADY!

Today...I got an octopus!!! Well, I didn't really get it. I got in contact with an octopus fisherman who gave it to me :) And when I got to the tanks, they were filthy. I have been out of town for two weeks and neglected to tell someone to make sure my tarp stayed up to avoid growth of algae. So, I got the octopus (it's a female) and then put her in a small clean tank while I cleaned out the big one. The octopus fisherman said I was good with her, I was putting her to sleep--I am the octopus whisperer! Then of course, as I was feeling super confident in my abilities, she inked everywhere. So I had to take her out of her tank, and she escaped into a larger area. I managed to wrangle her again and calm her down. I got her some crabs to eat and I'll go back in the morning to make sure she is ok. I hope she makes it through the night :)

It's really funny. We are all really attached to our animals. Christine goes a little hysterical when she gets a shark and transports it to it's tank. It's a precarious time. Now that I have an octopus, I see why she does that. I spent at least and hour trying to make sure everything was ok for her.

I'm so happy! I can start doing science!!

However, I did time my departure from HIMB poorly. It poured on me. Riding a bike in pouring rain is not super fun...And sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour is no fun either. Oh well, tomorrow I will go over early and leave early--it's the Hawaiian way :)

2 comments:

vanessayw said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!! Go get 'em, octopus whisperer!!

Chris said...

Did you ask what her name is?