Monday, October 27, 2008

100th post!

I just realized this is my 100th post. I am still such a newbie in the blogging community. I wouldn't actually consider myself part of the bogging community at all, really...

Anyway, I took my test on Friday. It did not go as well as I had hoped. I studied so hard, I knew everything by heart, I understood the theory behind all of the physical and biological models of benthic biological oceanography. Unfortunately, there was a question on the test that had nothing to do with everything I had studied. It was a terrible, pit in the stomach, wind knocked out of me, want to vomit moment. So, not so good. We'll see.

It's been a very rainy weekend. Which is kind of unprecedented in Hawaii. Yes, it rains here, but usually in spurts, and then the sky clears up. This was a grey, dreary, incessant rain that reminded me more of a Massachusetts rain than Honolulu rain. Not to say I don't love Massachusetts rain--I do.

Last night I had a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant with some friends of mine. We decided that we needed to treat ourselves and have a nice, sit-down dinner with wine and waitresses. It was lovely. Afterwords, we went to a bar to get an after dinner drink. As we were sitting at one of the only two tables in the place, this drunken guy in an indecipherable bright yellow costume of some sort decided to come over and give me a hug and kiss me on the cheek. I was unfazed. My friend however, was scandalized. He was so flabbergasted that men would do that. I feel like it happens all the time, you just move on and continue your conversation. My other friend agreed with me because the same thing happens to her as well. You just have to analyze the situation--is he drunk and aggressive? drunk and harmless? sober and awkward? I deemed this particular character as drunk and harmless. I saw him coming in for a hug, tried to dissuade him with my eyes, was unsuccessful, and moved on. If however, he was not harmless, there is an entirely different protocol that involves knees and elbows flying towards sensitive fleshy areas. Anyway, I was surprised my friend was so alarmed with this behavior. He's a man too, but he says he would never do anything like that. I tired to explain to him that as a woman, you could be in a room with 50 men who would never do something like that, but there's always one who would, and there only needs to be one. You just learn from experience how to deal with that one--and that is why women (or maybe it's just me) don't always have the best opinion of the opposite sex.

Well, enough for tonight. I have a busy week ahead that ends with Halloween! Preparations need to be made... I bought my students Halloween candy though, I will buy their love!

No comments: