Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bobtail Squid!

So, I'm going to talk about squid, but first, I need to discuss something disturbing that just happened to me. I decided to go buy myself a toaster oven. I was planning on waiting until people came to visit me to buy me a toaster oven, but I couldn't wait any longer! Anyway, I went to my favorite store (Don Quixote) and bought myself a toaster oven. Since I had no way to get home other than the bus, I got on the bus with my big box and sat in the only available seat with space next to me to put my purchase. What I didn't realize was there seemed to be a reason that seat was empty. The people behind me were singing and seemed to be intoxicated and...if they were cartoons, stink lines would have been emanating from their bodies. Of course, they decided to talk to me... The first man said he was hungry and wondered what I was going to be making in my toaster oven--I said I didn't know yet. Then, the gentleman next to him said "She's so beautiful, I could live off her dead skin." ............um.....WHAT?!!!? What the hell does that mean!? Ugh! I was so creeped out. Especially because they both started cackling and then continued talking to me about goose poop, God, and guns in Washington DC. I tried to think if I could get off the bus early, but I had this cumbersome box that I had to walk with, so I just smiled grotesquely until I was able to escape. But I can't get over how weird that was. What kind of a thing is that to say to somebody? Is that supposed to be a compliment??! If it hadn't been broad daylight, I would have been more frightened though...

Alright, now to squid. Yesterday, I checked out the Zoology Department van so that I could see if I could find some bobtail squid to observe in the wild. Since no one else wanted the van yesterday, I went with my friends to do some grocery shopping at the commissary before hand (which I can't normally go to because I don't have a military i.d.). My friend has a military i.d. and told me that groceries are cheaper there so we decided to go. It was amazing!!! It was huge!! It's a giant mall with cheap stuff for military people. They had tea for less than 7 dollars!! They had bagels for 4 dollars cheaper than any other store in the islands!! We filled our cart to the brim with cheap goods from the mainland. My friends kept making fun of me because I was freaking out about how inexpensive everything was. It was because of this trip that I decided to buy my toaster oven. I found mini pizza crusts to make home made pizza on :) I'm very excited.

After our grocery excursion, we went to the beach to see if we could find bobtail squid. It was super windy and very low tide, so we actually didn't see any at all...but we still had fun. We sat on the beautiful deserted beach and drank some wine under the moon and stars.

This past week was super busy, but productive. I got my Hawaiian driver's license (and I wish it said McLovin' on it instead of my name). I had my first real lab sections where I was a REAL teacher!! They asked lots of questions...and I realized I will need to hold their hands much more than I thought. Undergrads are not too bright.... I look at them and think, "was I like that?"

Ok, I need to do all of my work now. I'm going to the beach to read :)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I could live off your dead skin" is a common compliment in Hawaii, Heather. You should be very flattered.