Sunday, September 28, 2008

Snorkeling

Today I went to Diamond Head and went snorkeling. There wasn't too much to see, but there were some cool fish. The reefs are pretty barren. I'm not sure if that is a product of the environment, or overfishing. The colors were muted. Based on the amount of sea urchins, it is safe to say that these reefs are unhealthy. But I've heard they are trying to change that. And the water is a lot rougher here than I am used to. Also, while snorkeling, I realized how lucky I was to spend so much time in Zanzibar where the colors are vibrant and everywhere you look was something new and exciting. But this substrate here is perfect for cephalopods, so that is exciting!

After Diamond Head, I came home and tried to do work, but I have been seriously unproductive. I did laundry though, so that's good I guess. I'm not sure why I have so much trouble getting anything done on the weekends. Or during the week either for that matter. I need to just get it together. It's a rollercoaster. I was so happy after talking to Les. But today I got an e-mail that someone on Coconut Island has already done all the work that I had planned to do. Ugh. It was so liberating to have a plan--a goal to pursue through grad school, and now I feel lost again. I wonder if it gets easier. I wonder if after a certain point anything ever feels right. You just have to make a decision and go with it, whether it feels right or not. And you can't look back. You have to move on if you ever want to have any hope of being happy. Oh, I'm getting philosophical... I'm tired. I thought this existential crisis thing was over--it's been going on for two years already.

Tomorrow I am going to the mangroves with my oceanography class--they stole my Sunday. We're leaving at 7:30 which means I have to leave here at 6:30 so I should go to bed soon.

I forgot to say that Coconut Island was the original Gilligan's Island. In the opening of the show they have a picture of the Island--of course the show wasn't filmed there, but it's still cool that they intended the Island to be representative of Gilligan's Island.

No comments: