Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Teaching is hard...

Seriously. I think I was always one of those nerdy students who was super academic and loved and respected my teachers, so I never really realized how hard it must be to teach a room full of kids who are mostly uninterested and want to leave. That's what happened to me today. I felt like it was an uphill battle today to get anyone to do anything! I don't know what it was--but maybe osmosis and diffusion is not super exciting... There was one student who took his computer out and was blatantly chatting with someone online!! What am I supposed to do with that?! I told them that cell phones will NOT be acceptable--but I never thought they would just whip out their computers! I felt kind of crushed. I want my students to like me, but I don't want them to walk all over me. I just felt like I lost control over them. Ugh. Hopefully next week will be better. This lab was just horrible. Nothing was going right. None of the experiments turned out the way they were supposed to. I had to tell then what was supposed to happen--but where's the fun in that? Oh well.

Although, I did have one student who is a glass blower (and I got really excited because I want to take a class--and apparently the program here is top notch) who says she wants to bring in some of the water that they dip their glass into to see if anything is living in there. So, I was pretty happy about that. She is interested enough to find something outside of class and bring it in to look at it.

Also, what am I going to do about House and The Biggest Loser being on t.v. at the same time!? I think I am going to have to watch House first and then the last hour of TBL. These are the important questions. These are the struggles keeping me up at night.

No comments: