Saturday, November 10, 2007

Al-PACA!!

Last night I went to my first party on the Cape--in Falmouth. My fellow intern friends were throwing it, and I think it was a success (especially because I won at Beirut twice). Even though I was a bit stuffy, I had a good time and woke up feeling much better today.
This morning we went to the farm of a woman we work with. She has a sort of petting zoo area set up and a small restaurant and artisanal gift shop. Since we know her, we got to go in the enclosed area with the alpacas which were so beautiful and soft. Also, we saw some donkeys whom we went to pet and I was really surprised that their fur was similar to the alpacas. We saw some shetland sheep (which when I saw, I thought of mom), rabbits and goats. Hmm, ok, I guess I have now just named a lot of farm animals and I sound like I went on a field trip with my elemetary school or something. But it was fun.
Afterwards, I went to get my first big purchase of groceries at SHAW, the Falmouth grocery store where they play creepy Christmas music and everyone likes to put their cart in the middle of the aisle so you can't get past them without politely asking them if they can move and they respond with a dirty look... But, I succeeded in getting my $85 worth of groceries and barely made it to the bus back to Woods Hole (5 miles away from Falmouth). Meanwhile, I had seven bags with cans, pickles, milk, and other heavy products and about a mile walk after the bus stop. Needless to say, I was nervous for the walk back. I got off the bus and immediately had a casualty--my bag with tomato soup and corn and kidney beans and tomatoes broke. And I still had to walk a mile! I trudged up the hill, stopping for many breaks, and hoping some kind stranger would take pity on me (they never did). I finally made it home and put away groceries--but it doesn't look like I bought anything! And I had no roommate witnesses to see that I had contributed to the refrigerator... Oh, well, I'm back and there is milk for tea, and tea for the mornings, and makings of chili for dinner, so I'm happy.
Time for a shower and some cheese.

No comments: