Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cuttle Me

Today I went in to work at 7:30 and learned the ropes in the animal care center; cleaning sea star tanks, talapia, sea urchins, horse shoe crabs. And I also met a lot of new interesting people doing research on things other than cephalopods (although how cool could their research really be? :) ). Then, after feeding the cuttlefish (we fed them squid today which I find somewhat unethical...but they actually didn't seem to like them very much--it's like they know) I found out what my project is going to be and I am really psyched.
The basis of much of Roger Hanlon's research is that cuttlefish camouflage (all camouflage for that matter) falls into three categories: uniform, mottled, and disruptive. Much of the research on disruptive camouflage has already been done, and I will be working on the neglected (but equally as fascinating) subject of uniformity. Using different substrates I will try to evoke a response of uniform camouflage pattern, which on the surface seems pretty easy, but it has been seen to be quite varied. So, I am in for a long and exciting research process.
I also found out today that I will soon be starting work at the Pie in the Sky (a well known food service establishment here in Woods Hole), so I will finally be starting to make some money (whoohoo!).

My hands still smell like squid from cutting them up this morning...I have washing my hands so many times. I think I will likely smell like fish everyday until the end of this internship...

No comments: