Wednesday, November 7, 2007

First Fatality

I'm sure I won't continue writing everyday, but at the moment, everything is still new and exciting. Sadly however, today as I was feeding the cuttlefish, one of them did not try to eat its juicy piece of fish...and it turned out it had died over night. I thought something was wrong when its tentacles were pulled back in rigor mortis showing a face analagous to a death grin. Apparently this happens quite frequently as cuttlefish are very fickle animals and any small change in the environment wreaks havoc on the animals. They've recently changed the water temp and we are crossing our fingers that no more animals will die.
I got to play around a little with the experimental set up and see how the cuttlefish reacted to different substrates. I'm eager to get started on my experiments!
Tomorrow I am going to "The Vineyard" (Martha's Vineyard) to collect oysters. I am clearly a neophyte because when I was told we were going the "The Vineyard" I thought we were going on a wine tasting field trip--thankfully I did not say this out loud.
My roomies caught some clams today and are now making dinner. It smells delicious! I've been invited to join them, and I will not turn them down. Then after dinner, I've been invited to go out to a local bar :). People are so welcoming here!
I'm exhausted but having fun--and I haven't even started working at Pie in the Sky yet. I think I will be making something like 7 dollars an hour (oh yeah!), but at least it is better than what I am making now....

No comments: