Friday, November 16, 2007

Pie

I have begun my thirteen hour work days, and so far it is going well. I'm tired and increasingly dependent on caffeine, but surprisingly awake.  I like working at Pie in the Sky, lots of delicious goodies and usually nice people (except when there are mean customers...but I just try to kill them with kindness.) There seems to be this attitude that if you work in food service it means you aren't smart and you need to be talked down to, but I'd say most of the people who work there have at least college degrees, if not a masters.  
Today some people who fund us came in to the lab to see our progress on research with camouflage.   Everyone was a little on edge, but the cuttlefish performed brilliantly and we had champagne to celebrate. 
Yesterday there was a talapia disaster and we ended up having to save a poor fish from a filter tube. He didn't want to budge, so we had to siphon him up, and by the time we got to him he looked like he had some pretty bad hemorrhaging. He's being treated by the vet, and we hope he'll live...but maybe it's a case of survival of the fittest. He was the one who went in the tube in the first place. 
Well, have to clean the cuttlefish. I was planning on sleeping tonight, but it looks like I might have to go to a party instead...
Also, I discovered the most ridiculous accessory in Woods Hole is the umbrella--too much wind and I know everyone who saw me struggling with it knows I am clearly not a local.
Yay! Care package!

No comments: