Monday, November 26, 2007

Analysis

As I have been here almost a month, you may be asking yourself, where is the science? I am seemingly just doing animal husbandry. Wait, actually, I am only doing animal husbandry. Well, last week I was given a "choice" of what to do. I thought it had already been established that I was going to do experiments on uniform camouflage, but it seems that it would be more beneficial for me to do image analysis. The images are cool, very exciting photos taken from the field in exotic locals I am dreaming about, but it's hard to get excited about the fact that I have gone from one job staring at a computer screen to ultimately be doing the same thing here... However, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I have been told that working on this image analysis will effectively guarantee me a publication, which is a chance I will not pass up. I could have argued for doing experimentation, but this will give me even more skills that will (hopefully) make me attractive to the potential employers and fellowship givers in the science world. Actually, I do see the necessity of this work, and I'm sure that I will grow to love it :) Someday, I hope I will be the one taking the pictures. In the meantime I will learn valuable methods for analyzing camouflage in the field.

No comments: