Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Skates and Pomegranates

Yesterday, as I was siphoning the skate tanks, I saw that they had laid some eggs. If I hadn't known what they looked like, I may well have siphoned them up! They are really beautiful looking cases. Imagine a ladder with two rungs. In between those rungs, a thin membrane stretches across and over a persimmon colored ball (that is the embryo). The legs of the ladder are fragile, twisting, branches. That's what a skates egg case looks like. And I found five of them! We put a rubber band around them with the date, and then put them into a separate area where they can hatch some day :)
Also, yesterday ended a two day extravaganza of trying to eat the largest pomegranate I have ever seen or purchased. It was delicious, but I think it made me a little delirious. I call it a dream fruit, because Dali used to put them in his paintings. They have a mysterious quality to them. The succulent seeds pop with bloody juice and stain my fingers. It was delicious and I was very proud of myself for finishing it because it is quite a commitment. I feel like in the past, I usually give up about half way through (if not before). This time, I ate the entire fruit, and my mouth got quite the workout :)

No comments: