Friday, August 15, 2008

Bento

So, yes, yesterday was the last exam and I was very happy...but for only about a second, before the impending doom of Friday's meeting with a panel of professors started to weigh on me. But, once that is over, I will finally be able to relax. Until then, I'll continue to worry that I failed every exam and I'll be sent home.

Today I went to the beach because I felt like I should be going since I'm so near by. And along the way, I saw a woman with two parrots on her shoulders, but she was surprisingly unhappy looking. She had a sour look on her face and looked like what I imagine a Polynesian Professor Umbridge would look like (what is with all the harry potter references?). And then it started pouring...So, I went swimming and then came home pretty quickly so my book didn't get soaked.

My mom said that I would learn a lot about myself living alone. I think I've learned a lot already. First of all, I'm terrible with money. I have one side of me which is terribly responsible and wants to save money all the time and then there is this other side of me that sneaks in every once and a while which says "I deserve a treat." And the latter always wins. And it's dangerous! I need to stop going to my favorite store (Don Quijote) because they have these amazing bento boxes with sushi and fish and these cool mashed potato things (I think they are called croquettes). So much deliciousness!!! These bento boxes are my nemesis...

Today when I met with the professor I am TAing for, he asked how I like being in Waikiki with all the Japanese tourists and whether I feel like a giant. I told him I feel like a giant most of the time and it's not a huge difference from everyday. Although, I think I may actually be the tallest woman in Hawai'i. So I may feel more like a giant here than anywhere else.

I was thinking about joining match.com to make some friends. Well, actually, I did join match last night after a few glasses of wine and now someone e-mailed me and I'm terrified! I don't know if I can do this...weird. But, maybe it will be interesting. I just want to make some friends--and if they know more about the island that might be nice... We'll see.

Also, I found a frangipani tree today!!

No comments: