Sunday, August 24, 2008

Diamond Head

Yesterday I climbed Diamond Head--an extinct volcano in Honolulu. I was made fun of because I didn't realize at first that it was a volcano...I really need to read up on Hawaii so I stop making a fool of myself. Although, I think there is no danger of me not making a fool of myself any time soon. I bought a ridiculous hat to protect my poor sensitive skin from the burning sun. Here are some pictures of Diamond Head and a movie. Enjoy my crazy hat...




Hmm, I tried to put a video, but it didn't seem to work...

After Diamond Head, we went to a restaurant with traditional Hawaiian food. I had poi and pork and congealed coconut dessert. It was a treat! I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of poi yet, but maybe it will grow on me. I really liked the pork though--so tender, so juicy. Hawaiian food is delicious, but I doubt that many tourist actually get a chance to eat it because there are so many restaurants here with other kinds of food. Especially if you stay in Waikiki, your options are huge, but not too much traditional food.

After lunch, I went to the beach, slept, swam, read, and then, after the sunset they were showing a movie on the beach. Just like they used to in Swarthmore on Parrish beach (not really a beach). They showed Pirates of the Caribbean 3, not my favorite one, but still fun. It was wonderful to watch the sunset from the beach. Believe it or not, that was my first time watching the sunset in Hawaii since I've been here and it was magnificent.



I walked my friends to the bus stop after the movie and discovered that around eleven every night, my street becomes a parade of prostitutes. It was incredible! So many of them! I didn't see any tall, pale, red-heads though, so I have a niche to fill. And I won't have to go far for customers since this is the prostitute epicenter, apparently. My friends and I definitely enjoyed the show and were happy to see when our prostitute friends were successful.

I was watching some of the Olympics today and I have to admit, I appreciate the less traditional sports like rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming. The take a lot of precision and grace. I am definitely envious of their lithe bodies that move so easily. Olympic athletes make it look so easy. Oh, to be so limber...

Now I'm watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics and it looks like there is a human bloomin' onion on screen. I'm getting hungry, I guess. It's weird how large groups of people look like amoeboid masses with pseudopoda jutting out in all directions. Or maybe it only looks like that in China when they are choreographed that way.

Ok, I need to prepare for tomorrow. Classes start tomorrow!! And I have a very busy schedule...especially with teaching too. Ahh!!!!

1 comment:

vanessayw said...

Good luck with class!! You'll be great! I just set your picture of the sunset as my desktop. So I get to stare at it all day and picture myself on the beach with you... Mmm...

Love you!
nas