Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lies!!

Ok, I was lied to about the mosquito situation in Hawaii. Definitely mosquitoes. And they bite hard. Poo.

Also, I was lied to by USPS. They told me my packages would be sent in 10 days--I've waited 13 (work days even!) and not a peep from my mailbox. Also, I have a tracking number for both boxes--and neither say they are in transit or anything. It just cryptically says that it was "accepted" in Vienna. But after that...nothing. Blarg! I want my packages! My teddy bear is in there and it's dark and sad in there...

Yesterday I went to the $1 theater and that is where I will go from now on. I saw Sex in the City and I really liked it. And today I think I am going to see the Hulk. For a dollar, why not? And I feel like treating myself because I have been super productive today--I signed up for health insurance, got an island bank account, got my student ID (quite an ordeal), cleaned the lab I will be TAing in, and canceled my match.com subscription. Yay, me.

I feel like I must have some sign on my forehead that says "creepy old man, why don't you come over here and talk to me?" Because that is what happens. All the time. And not always creepy old men either, sometimes it's creepy old women. Maybe I look too friendly. Yesterday this man told me he was a writer and a photographer and gave me his card. But first, let me paint a picture of what this man looked like: He was a tall gentleman, about 6'2", with large wide-rimmed glasses (the kind you see old ladies wear), a giant white beard that reminded me of Merlin, a too-tight t-shirt straining to cover his belly, a work shirt draped over top and cut-off shorts to top it all off. The smallest, pockets-sticking-out-the-bottom, denim, cut-offs. This is the man who tells me he is a photographer and he wants to take my picture for a magazine. With my luck, that was my one shot at fame and I rejected it because he was wearing cut-offs. But mostly it was because he looked like he hadn't had a bath in about a year--and I'm not judging, that is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle, just one that I don't associate with professional photographers that work for a magazine...but who knows, maybe I'm naive...

Ok, I think I am going to try out my brand new student i.d. to see if I can check out some movies! Yay!

Tomorrow I go to the creek by campus to collect some specimens for our fish tanks :)

No comments: