Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Photos

Today is a transit day. We are booking it to our next location and sloshing around. Taking a shower this morning was quite the ordeal. I think I have new bruises on my elbows to go with the other fifty I already have from sea faring life.

Also, how the F*@% did I get poison ivy on a boat in the middle of the ocean?! I've never had it before, and my first time getting it has to be at sea. I don't get it. It's really itchy. Poo. But I don't have that much of it, so it's not too bad, I guess.

Last night, I started going though some of the frame grabs we have of different specimens for Les and I decided to take some to put on my blog--so there will finally be photos!

Here is a pic of the first octopus we saw. Isn't it the most adorable little octopus? I just want to eat it and have its babies.



Here is a galatheid crab, protecting the roost (a sponge):


And here is an oceanic white tip!


I have lots more photos, but I don't want to overwhelm people, so I'll just start with these.

Today some people were talking about what their favorite time of the day is. Someone said eating (cuz the food is incredible!) someone said showering, someone said sleeping. All very silly answers that I completely agree with. But then I thought about what really is my favorite time. I decided it is when I am putting the newly recovered coral samples in formalin out on the deck. It always happens to be right after sunset, during that twilight time when there is a red glow on the horizon. The sky is a dark purple, the stars are just starting to peak out, the sea is a deep indigo, and a red streak separates the two. I go in and out of the wet lab, fixing the specimens, and I never mind it. I'm usually alone out there and it is very peaceful.

No comments: