Sunday, March 29, 2009

Last Dive

Today was our last dive (as I'm sure the title of this post implied...). It started out a bit frustrating with lots of sand and fish. The fish guys were happy, but the coral guys were not. I saw an octopus and started yelling excitedly, but we didn't stop to look at it because the coral guys wanted to find coral :( However, we eventually found a gigantic rock covered in coral and everyone was happy again (except me because I didn't get to see the octopus). But really, I feel extremely privileged to have been a part of this cruise. I've always been fascinated by the deep sea and I never thought I would be able to get so close to it--holding creatures brought up from 2000 meters in my hands... It was very special.

Tonight Jana and I rocked out and danced out on deck as a break to our wet lab work. It was a great moment. And very productive--I worked much faster when we were done :)

I'm going to miss the nights the most. The sunsets. The moon was amazing again tonight. As it set, it was a thin red smile on the horizon.


This is what the cups look like after traveling to the deep. I drew a squid on one, and my favorite quote from 20,000 leagues under the sea on the other... There is a big cup there for comparison.


We're gathering up photos of everyone on the ship--this was my unlucky portrait... do I kinda look spaced out?


Tomorrow we dock in Ft. Lauderdale and go through customs. Homeland security is supposed to be there to greet us. And then we will pack everything up and be back in Hawaii on Tuesday, just in time for my dive class. Yay! I'm already exhausted in anticipation...

No comments: