Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oreo

We ended up near the point of Cat Island and started the ROV around 11. It turned out to be a beautiful day. We went down without a hitch, found some coral right away, and started collecting. I feel like we are in that part of a safari where you've been going for a few days and zebras and giraffes just don't cut it anymore. Now I wanna see a lion. Or more octopus... Or a squid. Really any cephalopod will do. But maybe I'm being greedy--I already saw an amazing one!

However, we did see two Oreo fish which have never been seen in this area before. They are extremely cool looking fish. Also, while I was looking at a hydroid, I realized it kind of looks like when Ursula would shrink people down if they didn't pay the price in The Little Mermaid (the Disney version).

We brought up the most amazing Paramuricea covered in zoanthids today--imagine a pink coral that kind of looks like wads of bubblegum stuck together and then covering it are hundreds of yellow colonial anemones. We're not sure whether they are parasitic or not, but they are stunningly splendiferous!

Some strange sound is coming from the ship...we've slowed down to a crawl. I'm choosing to ignore it til someone comes to get me to tell me to abandon ship...I think we'll be fine.

Alright, exhausted

No comments: