Friday, March 20, 2009

Whale

We just saw a whale!! Or really, just the whale spout... But still. It's nice to get outside every once and a while. I feel like I am turning into a vampire. We sit in the ship with all the lights off all day, staring at computer screens, waiting to see coral. By the time we get the ROV out, the sun is usually down, so it was nice to have a little sun break :) I'm sure people think I'm out in the Bahamian sun all day, but I bet I'll be whiter after this trip than I was before I came here...

So far at this site, we haven't seen anything... we'll see. That's not true at all--we've seen tons of fish! Very cool fish no one has ever caught on video, lot's of swimming sea cucumbers (my favorite is the Peniagone), we saw a goose fish (otherwise known as "scrotum" fish), tripod fish, an amazing galatheid crab. Lots and lots of cool moving organisms, but vertebrate and invertebrate alike, but no corals. It means less work for me tonight and less exposure to formalin, but the coral scientists are getting antsy...

No comments: