Friday, March 20, 2009

Swim

Last night--we hit something. We don't know what, but Les thinks maybe an animal. It knocked our left bow propeller and now we are missing a blade. They thought it might have been a fishing net, but when they went out to look for it, there was no rope, and something would have stayed tangled if it had been rope...so it was probably an animal. Sad.

But, it meant that we could go swimming this morning! Yay! I didn't think it would happen! We weren't supposed to ever have a chance to go swimming--but today we did!! We're right off the coast of Eleuthra Island, the water is clear, the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I feel like a flower, leaning toward the light and water (although, this is salt water). It was lovely. Someone had a mask that I borrowed and I dove down as far as I could go without fins. Unfortunately, that only seems to be about thirty feet (which was how deep the bottom was).

When I got out, I took my specimens out of formalin and now am doing my population biology homework. Yay! I was just complaining about having no time to myself and I guess Poseidon heard, or maybe it was Neptune. I feel bad for the boat (and what ever animal we hit) but it seems like it won't hurt us too much. We are still going to do a dive today, hopefully around noon. The later we get in the water though, the less sleep I'll get--ahh! But, I don't mind :) I'm in an excellent mood today--so happy to be alive, in the Bahamas, doing science...

No comments: