Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday

We've traveled about 750 miles out to sea, and yesterday, we turned around. We're headed back towards the mainland. But we still have some dives left (3?). Today we dove by Abaco Island and started our dive with a dumbo octopus sighting. Yay! We ended up seeing 3 octopi--THREE!! on our dive today. It was a cephalopod heavy dive, but I'm not complaining. Les was threatened not to let me have the footage until I graduate--only if I do coral work for him. Haha. He said I could potentially do zooanthid work too. We'll see. I just wish I could do all science! Study all organisms! All biology! Why do I have to pick one? We also got a ton of corals (which made everyone else happy).

So, my friend Laure has a computer that accepts my camera card! Here are some of my photos.

This is the ROV coming out of the water--doesn't it look like a big glowing bug in the ocean?


Here are pictures of when the space shuttle launched. It was much better in real life...



More pictures of our only day on land. I was trying to do that thing where you hold the ship on your hand, but Jana thought my thumb was the ship, so...no ship in my hand. But, I thought you might enjoy a silly photo of me trying and failing to do something cool...



Sunset



Here is my bunk--there are four girls in one room. I'd say the room is about 6 feet by 10 feet, maybe... maybe even less. I have the top bunk and my left thigh is seriously bruised from sliding down every morning to get out of bed...


I got my styrofoam cups back and they are so cute!! I will post pictures when I can :)

Here are some more of the real stars of the cruise:





There are some pretty amazing creatures that I can't post photos of because they may be new species and scientists get nervous about other people stealing their research. But, because this is a coral and fish cruise, the don't care about the octopods, so I can post as many of those as I want! More to come...

1 comment:

vanessayw said...

Yaaay! I love all of these photos! It looks really beautiful...

Can't wait to catch up more soon. Maybe this weekend?

Love you,
nas